Wednesday, October 30

True Love by Isaac Asimov

True Love is a story on how one day, computers would be so much developed that they are 'intelligent' enough to outsmart their creators. It is the first story out of all the books I have read (based on science fiction) which I didn't find interesting.

The title is quite ironical, seeing that the artificial brain of the machine believes that it would be able to woo a real woman on valentine's day and how it keeps talking about how 'looks' won't matter as long as their 'personalities' resonate !

The plot was clever and thoughtful, the characters were imaginable in real-life, and the concept of a computer falling in love was interesting enough.

But I think what I didn't like was the concept. Being based on science fiction, I had expected it to be exploring a realm of fantasy and the unknown, but perhaps it was unfair, since it had been written by Isaac Asimov at a time when things such as a computer weren't even imaginable.

Therefore, I would say that it might have been fantastic, had I not known anything about computers or technology. Or in other words, it would have been enjoyable if I had read it 20 to 25 years back.

No comments:

Post a Comment